2.01.2014

Prom Dresses For Bad Asses

I can't explain why, but it has been on my mind to write a blog post about prom. Not that I'm an expert on evening wear ensembles, BUT I MEAN, I did attend my hometown's prom FOUR freaking times. Four. And I've evolved my own opinions on the subject.

Prom dresses should be:

  • Classy: refrain from too-sexy cut outs, slits, V-necks, or sheer panels.
  • Flattering: wear what you look good in, not what you think is the "coolest" that season.
  • Stylish: as in, it should represent your personal style. If you like ball gowns, buy the biggest. If you like sequins, then go Vegas. 
  • Trendy: You're young and now is the time to pull off the latest trends. My advice here is to stick to one main trend. AKA don't do a hi-low skirt AND head chain AND an ear cuff AND color block wedges. Balance, grasshopper. 


Midi Dress

Dress by Nasty Gal, $88

Midi-length dresses stand out among the sea of floor length, while still being more formal than your fanciest cocktail-length dress. This one is especially chic, in all black and with a diving sweetheart neckline. I'd say skip the hat, and add a head chain. Make your shoes extra loud.

Urban Outfitters, $18


Classic

Dress by BCBG.com, $169
I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to include this dress or not. But I decided it made the cut just because it is so old hollywood classic to me. The color would look great with gold jewelry, and it's perfect for spring. Wear it with a bright pink lip! Coral + fuchsia = i die.

InsspppOooooOoooOoo


Color block

Dress by piperlime.com, $352
Color block dresses are slimming, trendy, and distinct. It's that happy medium between a solid color dress and a patterned piece. This particular one is all silk and most importantly, my hometown's school colors. What's not to love. Instead of choosing a colored clutch or heels, I would opt for metallics--gunmetal or silvers.


Artsy

Dress by lulus.com, $69
Sometimes it's healthy to say, "screw the happy medium." If you choose a pattern, go for an art-inspired trend as opposed to floral or animal print. Please refrain from animal print. I like this one because the silhouette and cut is simple enough to let the pattern speak on its own. It's a canvas. It's different. It's awesome. Choose simple shoes like the model show.


Bold

Dress by lulus.com,  $47

I LOVE me a tent dress. I think they're flattering and effortless--particularly on tall girls. This one is a fun color, and contrasts nicely with a revealing back cut-out. I would wear my hair in a low-side bun, to give the back full attention.  

Champagne

Dress by Lulu*s, $49
I love love love this dress. It's a shimmery, girly, eye-catching dress that could make the shyest of girls immediately the life of the party. I would keep the shine going with gold jewelry and accessories. I would especially like to see a jeweled thin-multi headband as the cherry on top. 




Cap-sleeves

Dress by Bebe, $375
Don't turn away from a gown just because it's sleeved. The snug fit of this particular dress edges up the conservative sleeves. I would like to see this in a brighter color--but overall, this is a dress that would stand out among the countless strapless get ups at your prom.


Long sleeves 

Dress by ShopBop, $345

Long sleeves seem like an off choice for a spring prom--but it can work! Pick a dress in a light fabric. Stay away from sequins, velvet, stiff silk--anything heavy. Long sleeves slim arms and make you seem taller. Pair it with a statement necklace. This would probably be my favorite outfit of the night.


Peek-a-feet

Dress by ShopBop, $275
Three reasons I'm obsessed with this: the subtle peek-a-boo feet, minty color, and ethereal ruffled sleeves. Not to mention how this cut is a waist-whittler. Super girly and speaks to my inner princess~*~*~*~*~*~ If you really want to know what I'd love to see with this dress, look no further than a flower crown.



Minimalistic 

Dress by ShopBop, $425 
This combination of this loud color with the minimalistic cut is what makes this so stunning. Let it speak for itself with a dainty gold necklace and stud earrings.  In fact, this dress is simple enough to handle a little dainty gold head wrap.

I could talk about dresses forever so if you want a second opinion, just e-mail, tweet, or leave a comment! :>

No comments:

Post a Comment